From the collection of the Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology
Images illustrating the different types of training offered at the Polytechnic and associated technical schools.
“The Christchurch Polytechnic traces its roots back to Christchurch Technical Associated Classes established in 1903 by a Technical Education Board set up following a conference of local bodies and interested societies convened by the Industrial Association of Canterbury the previous year. The Technical Education Board initially offered classes in mathematics from rooms at the Richmond public school and the Sydenham Borough Council chambers, then a variety of trades, commercial and other courses from the Victoria Hall in the central city. …
The Christchurch Technical College developed along the lines of the other big city technical schools, increasing its high school roll and the numbers of students taking apprentice, technician, secretarial and hobby courses. In 1965 … split into a separate high school and regional technical institute”
Extract from: Bricklayers and Mortarboards” by Ian Dougherty published 1999 by Dunmore Press Limited, Palmerston North, page 201-202.
Part of the Cantage Records and Archives Week 2010 exhibition