Gracie’s was a prominent drapery business in New Brighton for many years, owned by 3 generations of the Gracie family. It was initially begun in the 1920’s by Mr Ralph Gracie, who already had a successful menswear business in Christchurch. Ralph’s son France took over the business in 1943 and was then joined by Ralph Gracie’s son-in-law Alan Cockburn who ran the business until recent years. Alan Cockburn donated a great deal of material to the New Brighton Museum upon the shop closing, and there is now a recreation of Gracie’s in the Museum.
From the collection of New Brighton and Districts Historical Society
Part of the Cantage Records and Archives Week 2010 exhibition