From the collection of the Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology
“In 1908 the Christchurch Technical College took over the Christchurch School of Domestic Instruction, which became a department of the college. The domestic instruction school had been established in 1893 by a voluntary association and had opened in a rat-infested warehouse in Lichfield Street. The first of its kind in New Zealand, it taught cookery, dressmaking and laundry work to adult students and to a number of primary school children in the city and nearby towns. The school was relocated to the college site in 1911.”
Extract from: Bricklayers and Mortarboards by Ian Dougherty published 1999 by Dunmore Press Limited, Palmerston North, page 201.
Part of the Cantage Records and Archives Week 2010 exhibition